Kids can make your own patriotic paper into a darling pinwheel using paint and a homemade sponge stamp! Be sure to play with it on Fourth of July!
Type of CraftEdit
- Household sponge
- White printer or copier paper
- Blue and red craft paint
- Gold paint pen
- Pinwheel template
- Pony bead
- Wooden dowel
- Using the template as a guide, cut the white paper to a 7" square.
- Cut a star shape out of a household sponge.
- Squeeze blue paint onto a palette or paper plate. Dip sponge into paint, dab off excess, and press onto paper. Repeat design in several places. Clean out the sponge and repeat with red paint.
- Use a gold paint pen to draw dots and curly lines on the paper to decorate it further. Let dry then turn over and decorate the other side.
- Use a ruler and a pencil to lightly mark the paper according to the template. Cut diagonal lines toward the center, using the template as a guide.
- Use the pencil to poke holes in the paper where indicated on the template.
- Insert the thumbtack into the wooden dowel to create a hole. Remove thumbtack.
- Fold one of the corners (with a hole) toward the center of the paper. Insert the thumbtack through the hole. Bring the next corner up and under the first one, inserting the thumbtack. Repeat for all four then push the thumbtack through the center hole.
- Holding the tack and the paper together with one hand, turn over and slide the pony bead onto the thumbtack, then insert the thumbtack into the dowel. This will add space between the paper pinwheel and the dowel.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.